Australia has a progressive immigration system aimed at reducing skills shortages. The Subclass 457 work visa, a temporary business visa which allows employers to sponsor overseas workers, has proved to be very popular.
Australian employers and overseas employers can sponsor a skilled worker under a 457 visa for any period of time from one day to four years. Family members are also welcome and are allowed to work and/or study during their stay in Australia.
Once a person enters Australia on a 457 work visa, there is no limit to the number of times he or she can enter and leave the country during the time frame of his or her visa.
For an employer to be eligible to apply for a worker to come to Australia under a 457 visa, they must meet certain requirements including:
- applying to be a sponsor to recruit overseas workers
- nominating the occupations they want to fill, and the employees they want to fill those positions
- recruiting the overseas workers to fill the nominated positions
- acting as a sponsor for the employees applying for a visa
- cooperating with the immigration department's monitoring requirements
The employee coming to Australia under a 457 work visa must:
- accept the offer of employment from the employer
- apply for a 457 visa
- meets all conditions on their 457 visa
457 Visa Employee Requirements
Employees applying for a 457 work visa must meet a number of requirements, including:
- being sponsored by an eligible employer
- having skills, qualifications, and experience which match the requirements of the position
- having demonstrated English language proficiency (IELTS score of 5 across all four test components)
- being eligible for any relevant licenses associated with the position
Employees must also meet various health requirements, including having health insurance. In addition, employees must meet character requirements through background checks.
The Australian 457 work visa has proven to be one of the most popular ways for employers to hire overseas workers. If you would like more information on this visa, feel free to contact one of our offices.